But recently, some smart entrepreneurs spotted the similarity between that and the seaweed is used in the Far East every day to wrap sushi. Plans are underway to farm the product.
Types of edible seaweed species across the world can be roughly categorized into the finer weeds as laver and sea lettuce, the short stemmed as dulse, Irish moss or Carragheen and “horse tail” kelps which grow on or below the tide mark.
The marine algae laver has long been a delicacy in Wales where it is known as laverbread.
Welsh laverbread or "bara lawr" has nothing to do with bread, but made into a purée and is most commonly enjoyed with shellfish or eaten with hot buttered toast.
- Tasty Laverbread is scientifically proven to be beneficial to your health. Many studies have confirmed the positive qualities of the mineral-rich seaweed.
- It is nutritious, very low in calories, rich in protein and contains over 50 known minerals and trace elements regarded as essential body requirements.
- The sea-enriched weed provides high quantities of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and iodine and vitamins A ,B, B2, C & D.
- Versatile Laverbread is so healthy it could even help after a nuclear pollution incident as it contains a compound which binds with heavy metals in the gastrointestinal tract forming a gel-like salt which is understood to remove radioactive and environmental contaminants.
- Seaweeds enhance the flexibility and mobility of joints, are healing to the mucous membranes and promote healthy skin.
The infamous psychic healer Edgar Cayce recommended eating the food 'where the body lives' for peak health. This makes me dubious about eating imported food. But he died in the 1940s, so maybe food preservation has improved since then.
You can see recipes and buy cans of lavabread online. For your interest, here are the advertised prices for a case of ten cans: Postage and packaging for 1 case to mainland UK and Northern Ireland is £5.00, Europe £10.14 and to the rest of the world £16.38. Source: Lavabread.
That works out at about the same price as a can of beans—not bad in my estimation. The offer appeals to me, but having to pay up front for ten cans prohibits the urge. However, I'm sure canned food would be just as good for you no matter where it was shipped.
Would you like to try lavabread?